Sunday 14 April 2013

Lil .....

Lil has been the surprise of all the birds and not my favourite!
She can be quite mean spirited when she wants to be.
Last year we lost Henny, a Wyandotte Bantum with a beautiful nature.
When Lil realised that they were a chook down she called and called all afternoon. 
I was quite sure that if I didn't find a replacement Lil would continue to fret and die too.
We went for a drive up to Abundant Layers in the hills and came home with Beth, a young Buff Sussex.
The poor thing had every right to be terrified. Apart from being re-homed one of the locals (Lil)
would go into the chicken house and squarely box her ears. 
We all know that's where the term "pecking order" comes from but what really surprised me was that after five minutes or so Lil would think " You know, I didn't do that well enough!" 
and would march back in and do it all over again.

Henny, (in front)Lil (grey one) and Denise; free ranging
She went through her malt about a month ago and she knows very well that she's sporting a 
designer outfit at the moment.
Lil is very insecure but given half a chance she will stick the talons in when she thinks no one is looking.
She will also screech her head off the whole time when we have to catch her where as the others settle quickly.
As I said -not my favourite chook.

No comments:

Post a Comment